Friday, February 18, 2011

Jimmie's Chicken Shack


I've had a bout with some nostalgia the past couple weeks and I dug this awesome album out of my collection.  It had been way too long since I've listened to this one.  Jimmie's Chicken Shack burst onto the scene and faded out almost as quickly.  They are still recording some albums, but none have been able to hold a candle to this one (in my humble opinion).  Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope is chock full of catchy licks, groovy riffs, and some very unique vocals.

When I first heard them circa 1998, this album did not leave my cd player for several months.  This album has a little something for everyone.  They had released a couple previous albums that definitely showed some promise, and this is their first major label release.  It included some previously recorded tracks, redone with much better production.  Their follow up, Bring Your Own Stereo, had a few good tracks, but overall it was tough to follow this excellent album.

Keep an eye out for their Bongjam EP.  I'll post it soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment